EDUCATION: PhD – Kent State University, Kent, OH – December 2011 Werner and His Empire: The Rise and Fall of a Gilded Age Printer (available through Ohiolink ETD http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi?acc_num=kent1321975558 )
- Major – Public History
- Minor – Nineteenth Century US, Spanish Empire, Russian Empire, Medieval History, History of the Book
- Coursework included Documentary Editing, Medieval History, Medieval Art History, Medieval Manuscripts and Incunabula, Public History, Historiography, Nineteenth Century US History, Early Modern Spain and Spanish Empire.
MA, Hunter College, NY January 1987
- Major: Ancient History, Minor: Near East
MLS, Queens College, NY December 1983
- Major: Research, Minor: Technology and Data Retrieval
BA, University of Wisconsin, Madison May 1980
- Major: Ancient and Classical History, Minor: Classics
HONORS AND AWARDS
Outstanding Teaching Award – School of Library and Information Science, College of Communication and Information, Kent State University, Fall 2011
Phi Alpha Theta – Psi Chapter (history) – inducted December 2007
Eta Sigma Phi – Beta Alpha Chapter (classics) – initiated April 1988
Graduate School of Library and Information Science – Kent State University – 1992 to present
Courses taught since 2006, workshops (two-day intensive seminars) since 1992 Semester Long Courses:
- History of Libraries in the Western World – SLIS-Kent State University since Summer 2008
- Research and Reference Methods for Local History and Genealogy – SLIS-Kent State University since Spring 2007
- Preservation Management – SLIS-Kent State University since Summer 2006
- Rare Book Librarianship / History of the Book– SLIS-Kent State University since Fall 2006
- Foundations of Library & Information Science – SLIS Kent State University since January 2012
- Preservation Management – Graduate School of Information Science – University of Pittsburgh Summer 2002
- History of World Civilization (to 1659) – History Dept. Kent State University – Sept 2010
Two Day Graduate Level Workshops – School of Library & Information Science – Kent State University 1992-present
- Preservation: Core Issues and Decision Making – since 1992.
- Repair Decisions for General Circulating Collections (Hands on book repair techniques) – since 1993.)
- Genealogy and Local History Research Methods for Librarians and Archivists – since 1995.
- Accessing Government Documents and Resources in Print and On-Line – since 1995.
- Internet and web site searching – from 1992 to 1996.
One Day Workshops and Seminars (see also offerings through my website)
- Data, Data Everywhere: Locating Government Data Sets – OHIONET Spring 2014
- Supporting Maker Culture – OHIONET Spring 2014
- E-Government for Public Libraries – OHIONET Spring 2014
- Planning for Disaster – Putting the Pieces Together – NEO-RLS workshop Oct 23, 2013
- Passenger Lists for genealogists: how to locate and use – German Heritage Week – Columbus Metropolitan Library Lecture Oct 9, 2013
- Security and Safety Issues for Cultural Institutions – since 2007
- Preparing for Disaster at work and home – since 2007
- Specialized Genealogy Websites, Databases & Indices – NORWELD (Northwest Ohio Regional Library District) seminar Oct 2007
- Continuous Operations Planning for Cultural Institutions (1-3 day workshop) – Florida 2006, Illinois 2007
- Preservation for Technical Services Librarians – since 1998
- Determining basic preservation and environmental needs for print and non-print materials – since 1989
- Hands-on Book Repair techniques for general circulating collections – since 1990
- Hands-on Book Repair techniques for archival collections – since 2000
- Disaster preparedness and response training, and plan writing for libraries, archives, historical societies and museums since 1989
- Disaster prevention and response plan writing and training for corporate and special libraries, also designed for corporations and small libraries – since 1989
- Hands-on training for recovering water damaged materials – since 1989
- Preservation for genealogists – since 1990
- Preservation & Technology – how one requires the other
- Indoor air quality and sick building syndrome – how it affects collections and staff since 1991
- Keeping Up with the Speed of Change – presented at ALAO (Academic Library Association of Ohio) Conference Nov 2002
- Teaching Internet Reference Sites to Staff and Patrons – presented at ALAO (Academic Library Association of Ohio) Conference Nov 2002
- Ohio Bicentennial Resources in Print and On-Line – for YA and Schools, and for Adult Reference Librarians – 2001-2004
- Genealogy and Local History Resources for Archivists since 1994
- Government Documents and Resources on the Net – since 1994
- Creating a website for your unique collections – planning, selection and digitization – since 1994
- Local history resources for genealogy librarians and archivists – since 1994
- Developing and Maintaining Websites – planning, design, marketing and updating your site to keep it current (also called “Are you listening to your website Part 1)
- Website Usability and ADA issues (also called “Are you listening to your website Part 2)
- Readers’ Advisory on the Net
- Multicultural literature resources for Readers’ Advisory services – SWON (Southwest Ohio Library Network) – June 2007
- Promoting Reading in your Library
- Hands –on training on Internet reference databases available through OPLIN (Ohio Public Library Information Network) and the WWW – from 1995 to present
- Use of Internet Browser software, including Netscape Navigator and Communication, and Internet Explorer 1994-1998
- Internet search Engines – which sites provide the best information for the reference desk 1994-1998
- Use of Internet at the reference desk: which is more efficient, paper, on-line databases or the Internet?
- Internet for children’s librarians using OPLIN resources and the WWW
- Reflections on Print & Digital Preservation: New Realities – Ohio Library Council Technical Services Retreat – Oct 2012
- Mining the Census: A Snapshot of a Community – Kent State University SLIS – April 2012
- Jewish Merchants in Northeast Ohio – Kent State University – Geauga Campus, series on Cultural Diversity – May 1, 2008
- Photograph preservation – for digital imaging course – Kent State University each Fall since 2007
- Disaster Response and Prevention – Multi District Library System – Wilkes Barre, PA – August 2009
- Security and Safety Issues for Cultural Institutions – Oklahoma City ACRL Chapter Conference – Nov 2008
- Preparing for Disasters at work and home – Cleveland, OH – October 2008
- Public Records – what do they teach us – Columbus Metropolitan Library – Fall 2005, October 2008
- Surviving the Flood: The Dayton Public Library and Museum and the Flood of 1913 – Phi Alpha Theta Regional Conference – April 2008
- Security and Safety Issues for Libraries and Archives – Ontario Library Association – March 2008
- Understanding Historical Edited Documents – Creator vs. Audience – Kent State University Fall 2007
- Making Preservation Decisions Count – Southeast Ohio Regional Library Consortium –Oct 2007
- Digitization for Special Collections & Rare Books – Kent State University Spring 2006
- Digital Collections – Kent State University Summer 2006
MBK Consulting November 1991 to present Research, Preservation & Special Projects
- Survey collections for condition, preservation, and environmental needs; write recommendations and long range plans.
- Assist in recovery of water damaged materials in cultural institutions, corporations, and records centers.
- Develop of manuals and illustrations for handling water damaged materials.
- Write and test disaster preparedness / business resumption / continuous operations plans.
- Provide research and recommendations to support and justify preservation projects and grant funding.
- Write articles and review current materials in the preservation field; including disaster prevention and response planning, low cost solutions for preservation, and environmental needs.
- Provide educational programs and seminars on various topics in preservation including reformatting and housing unique materials.
- Develop and present seminars on research methods in genealogy, local history, and on the Internet’s contents for librarians and archivists.
- Research projects; topics range from history and genealogy, and land use in Ohio, to the efficient use of on-line resources and the Internet for reference and research.
- Provide environmental and preservation information and expertise for Remote Storage Facility project in Northeastern Ohio.
PRESERVATION/CONSERVATION CONSULTANT – State Library of Ohio – June 1989 to September 1991
- Answered reference and research questions concerning current trends in preservation.
- Marketed, promoted, and presented training in disaster prevention, response and recovery; over three dozen seminars presented in 1991.
- Coordinated six major recovery operations from 1989-1991.
- Assisted libraries in creation and implementation of disaster recovery plans.
- Surveyed collections to determine condition, preservation, storage, and disaster preparedness needs.
- Located sources of funding for preservation projects; included information to justify preservation and survey projects.
- Established information/resource center focusing on preservation and conservation, including disaster recovery and salvage methods and firms.
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSOCIATE: The Ohio State University – Classics Department – September 1988 to June 1989
COORDINATOR OF ON-LINE SERVICES: University of South Dakota – I.D. Weeks Library – Sept. 1986 to May 1988
- Reference services and bibliographic instruction in use of on-line searching.
- Coordinated Computer Assisted Bibliographic Services (CABS) and other computer services in Main Library, tripling service and demand within two years.
- Marketed, promoted, and provided classes and demonstrations detailing computerized and traditional research resources for faculty, students, and library personnel.
- Cross-trained and coordinated on-line services with Medical and Legal Libraries.
LIBRARIAN I: New York Public Library – January 1984 to August 1986
Mid-Manhattan – Humanities and Social Sciences Department, and
- Adult and children’s reference services.
- Provided paper based and on-line reference assistance and bibliographic instruction.
- Worked with census materials, government documents, law materials, and business reference tools.
LIBRARY INTERN: Queens College – Paul Klapper Library – September to December 1983
INFORMATION RETRIEVAL SPECIALIST: Titan Industrial Corporation – April 1981 to August. 1983
- Performed database retrieval and maintenance, systems analysis, report design, statistical analysis, quality assurance, and customer service in mainframe environment.
- Transportation in New York – 2012 K-12 Archives Education Institute – New York City – October 2012
- Jewish Book Art in the Late Middle Ages: Twelfth Annual Manfred R. Lehmann Memorial Master Workshop – University of Pennsylvania – May 2012
- Understanding the Medieval Book – Irvin Department of Rare Books, Hollings Library – University of South Carolina – March 2012
- Archival Arrangement, Description, and Cataloging – Kent State University – Spring 2010
- History of European Book Bindings (Sixteenth to Nineteenth Century) – Rare Books School – University of Virginia – January 2009.
- Preservation and Conservation Issues for Outdoor Sculpture – Intermuseum Conservation Association (Cleveland, OH) – April 2008
- Web 2.0 for Librarians – Kent State University – July 2008
- Identification of Photographic Processes –Intermuseum Conservation Association – April 2008
- History of Printing and Illustrative Techniques to 1900 –– Rare Book School – University of Virginia – January 2008
- Textiles: From Household Goods to Museum Artifacts – Intermuseum Conservation Association – February 2008
- Care, Handling and Preservation of Scrapbooks – Midwest Archives Conference – October 2007
- Reading the Book – seminar on the history of the book – Intermuseum Conservation Association – September 2007
- History of the Book 1450-1800 – Rare Book School – University of Virginia – January 2007
- National Institute for Genealogical Research Seminar – Washington D.C. -July 2005
- Research and reference methods for librarians who serve genealogists and local historians – ALA pre-conference 1994.
- Copyright Law for print and non-print materials, and software – Midwest Archives Conference – 1999; OHIONET Seminar – 1992
- Basic hands-on treatments of book and paper materials, includes hand binding – workshops and individual training by conservators in Ohio – 1989-1992.
- Techniques, and rare book box making; bookbinding and microfilming techniques, and contract evaluation – Workshops and individual training in – Workshops and individual training by conservators in Ohio – 1989-1992.
- Recovery of water damaged photographs – SAA workshop
- Identification, storage, and preservation of sound and video recordings – SAA workshop
- Survey techniques to determine preservation, condition, and treatment needs for print and non-print materials, including magnetic and electronic media – SAA Workshop
- Train the trainer for Internet instruction – OHIONET, Midwest Archives Conference.
- Grant writing workshops, foundations, and charitable giving resources and application writing.
- Ancient Greece and Greek Culture – NEH Summer Institute –University of Washington, Seattle, WA – Summer 1987.
PUBLICATIONS & ARTICLES“The Caporali Missal: A Masterpiece of Renaissance Illumination” Exhibition Review SHARP News 22 no. 3 (Summer 2013): 1.“Beatrix Potter: The Picture Letters” Exhibition Review SHARP News 22 no. 2 (Spring 2013): 3.“Crossing Borders: Manuscripts from the Bodleian Library” Exhibition Review SHARP News 22 no. 1 (Winter 2013): 3.“Editors, Scholars and the Social Text” by Darcy Cullen (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2012) Book Review SHARP News 22 no. 1 (Winter 2013): 6.
“Preservation in the Digital Age: A Review of Preservation Literature 2009-2010.” with Karen Gracy. Library Resources and Technical Services (LRTS) 56 no. 1 (January 2012): 25-43. The associated bibliography is http://alcts.ala.org/lrts/digitalage_bib1111.pdf
Disaster Response and Planning for Libraries. Chicago & London: American Library Association, 1998, 2002, 3rd edition March 2012 .
“Recycling Library Discards and E-Waste.” TechKNOW (Technical Services Division of Ohio Library Council) 15 Issue 1 (June 2009): 1-4.
Library Security and Safety Guide: Prevention, Planning, and Response Chicago: American Library Association, 2008
Audiovisual Disaster Response Guide, Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) – compiled the literature review for publication proposal to the Society of American Archivists (SAA) – Jan 2007
Protecting Your Library’s Digital Sources: The Essential Guide to Planning and Preservation Chicago: American Library Association, 2004
“Water Damage” The Local Historian Vol.17 No.6 (November/December 2002) p6
“Disaster Response for Museums and Small Historical Societies” Ohio Museums Vol.5 No.1 (Summer 2002) p5
“Essential Book Repair Tools: A Bibliography” TechKNOW (Technical Services Division of Ohio Library Council) Vol. VII No.3 (Sept 2002) p3
“Disasters for Directors: The Role of the Library or Archive Director in Disaster Preparedness and Recovery” with Barbra Higginbotham Advances in Preservation and Access vol. 2. edited by Barbra Buckner Higginbotham. Medford, NJ: Information Today, Inc. 1995.
“Disaster planning vital adjunct to business insurance” with Karen Benedict. Business First of Columbus (October 17, 1994) p32.
“Fires, Earthquakes and Floods: How to Prepared Your Library and Staff” Online v18 #3 (May 1994) p18-24.
First Steps for Handling & Drying Water Damaged Materials. MBK CONSULTING, Columbus, OH © 1994.
“Disaster Prevention or Protecting Your Business” in Remote Backup Book (March 1994 revised 2003).
“Mastering Disasters: Emergency Planning for Libraries” Library Journal v118#21 (Dec. 1993) p73-75.
Disaster Prevention: an SLA Information Kit. Special Libraries Association (March 1995) (available at http://www.sla.org/content/resources/inforesour/sept11help/disip/infokit.cfm ).
“Disaster Response and Prevention for Historical Societies and Museums” Local History: Notebook Parts 1&2 Ohio Historical Society Local History Office (January/February, March/April 1995).
“The Preservation of Large Format Photographs” ViewCamera (January/February 1995)34-37. Photographs by Pat Williamsen – Ohio Media Resources, Columbus, OH.
New Consultants Information Packet for Special Libraries Association, distributed to new library consultants (June 1994).
Disaster Prevention and Response for Computers and Data. MBK CONSULTING, Columbus, OH ©1994.
“Polaroid’s Artist Support Program” ViewCamera (March/April 1995) 30-33.
“Chip Forelli – City Boy Goes Landscape” ViewCamera (July/August 1995) 10-15.
“Protecting your Audio-book Collection” AudioFile Vol.3#7 (December 1994) 12-13.
“Photographs as Documentation: the HABS/HAER PROGRAM” ViewCamera (Jan.-Feb. 1996):10-17.
Quarterly Preservation column, MAC Newsletter (November 1995 through August 1997).
Reviews of conferences, workshops, and publications for Conservation Administration News, AMIGOS Bibliographic Council Newsletter, and Library Journal.
Review audio and print books for Library Journal, AudioFile and The Ohioana Library Association Quarterly.
Evaluated manuscripts and publications for Special Libraries, Ohio Preservation Council.
Reviewed grants for National Endowment for the Humanities.
Avon Lake Public Library (2012)
- Evaluated local history and genealogy collections, · Recommendations for preservation, access, digitization, and organization of photographs, records, and bound materials.
- Stow-Monroe Falls Public Library (2009-2010)
- Evaluated local history collection, recommendations for access, storage, and preservation of archival materials.
- Provide seminars, Information and articles on all areas of preservation, including disaster prevention, environmental conditions, exhibition and storage issues, for libraries and other cultural institutions in Ohio.
Association of Moving Image Archivists (2009)
- Background research for a manual on disaster recovery for audio-visual materials.
Methodist Theological School of Ohio (2011)
- Mold infestation and removal consultation
University of Akron (2010-2011)
- Disaster Response training for libraries and archives, reviewed disaster response plan and recommendations of immediate response actions, and evaluated all libraries and archives for disaster prevention and hazards
Miami University Library (2000)
- Designed Continuous Operations Plan with Disaster Response Procedures for all libraries and their associated computer information operations, and trained staff in Disaster Response Procedures
Herb Society of America (2000)
- Preservation and Building Survey
Marietta College Library (2001)
- Consultation for mold infection, provided recommendations for remediation of mold infection on general and special collections, and basic training in mold removal from special collections items.
Brooklyn College Library (1994-2005)
- Compiled justification for stable environmental conditions in new library buildings, and for Project Manager position during renovation and building project to expand library. Consulted with library concerning mold eradication, concrete dust removal and disaster plan revision.
- Wrote condition survey, both general and item-by-item, of Hess Collection for environmental and preservation needs, and provided treatment recommendations after flood in Music Library, Archives, and LaGuardia Reading Room.
Ohio Wesleyan University – Delaware Ohio (1998)
- Consultation concerning mold infection in Music Library and provided training for staff and facilities crew in removal of inactive mold from Music Library volumes.
Century Surety Insurance Group (2001-2002)
- Wrote Disaster Response & Prevention plan for their IS department
Professional Insurance Agents (Ohio) (1993-1995)
- Developed an agency-specific disaster response plan with accompanying seminar.
Servpro Drying Centers – served as consultant on-call from Jan. 1993-1995.
- Provided disaster response and recovery information and training for dealing with water-damaged materials.
Worthington Public Library
- Surveyed water and structural damage after flooding.
- Evaluated mold infection, and provided recommendations for removal of mold and resumption of air movement.
Munters Moisture Control Services – served as consultant on-call from Nov. 1991-June 1994
- Provided preservation training in recovery of water damaged materials, print and non-print, including mold eradication, compiled background reports and training manuals, and presented seminars for staff and clients; evaluate environmental and storage conditions.
Ebac Systems Inc. – serve as consultant on-call for disaster response from 1994-1995
Bucyrus Public Library (Ohio)
- Designed disaster response plan and training.
Jefferson Parish Library (Louisiana)
- Evaluated environmental conditions and recommended treatment and removal of mold after HVAC failure.
NYC Parks Department (1993)
- Wrote specifications for treatment and removal of mold after water damage, and reviewed treatment after removal of mold from materials.
- Developed marketing materials for the preservation and restoration of videotape.
Wexner Center for the Arts (Ohio State University) (1991-1994)
- Wrote recommendations for removal of mold from art work, provided condition survey and recommendations concerning environment and preservation of art work in storage areas.
Ohioana Library Association (1989-present)
- Provide preservation advice and training for all staff.
- Wrote building and environmental condition survey, wrote recommendations for disaster plan, and provided training.
Inland Marine Underwriters Association:
- Evaluated and reviewed literature for insurance agencies on disaster response, edited training materials for preservation, storage, and environmental needs of museums, libraries, archives and historical societies.
AMIGOS Bibliographic Council – Preservation Administration Services
- Consulted on various preservation and disaster response projects
Wiley Senior High School (1993)
- Provided building survey to determine cause of mold in library collection and its subsequent growth in building.
Southern Wells County Schools (1992)
- Consulted on recovery after library fire.
Upper Arlington Public Library (Ohio)
- Consulted on disaster response plan and training.
Miami-Dade County Public Library (1992)
- Consulted on recovery of water and mold damaged materials from 4 branches after Hurricane Andrew.
Research and Writing Projects: November 1991-present (selected list)
- Disaster Response Plans, Continuous Operations Plans, and Preservation for various institutions.
- History of land use prior to clean up of environmental / hazardous wastes.
- Histories of geographical areas in Ohio for land ownership and environmental phase I background.
- Compile newspaper reports on 1894 local semi-pro baseball teams in Ohio.
- Locate early 19th century maps of salt licks
- Collate military and personal information about 17 Civil War Veterans.
- Locate Articles of Incorporation and Track Maps for local and state railroad companies (19th century).
- Compile histories of various farm implement and buggy companies in nineteenth century Ohio.
- Research various Genealogical and local history projects.
- Collect public and court records – local, county, state and federal.
- Write articles about photography and photographers, including history of earlier processes and preservation of large-format photographs.
- Edit and proofread manuscripts and articles for various authors.
Product Development: Business 2 Business Direct – January 1992-1996
- Research for new product development for preservation projects.
- Write copy for catalog of archival products and brochures on preservation.
- Develop archival storage containers for audiovisual, magnetic, and electronic media
SERVICEAldus Society http://www.aldussociety.com/
- Newsletter Editor – 2013-
MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) http://www.merlot.org/merlot/index.htm
- History Editorial Board – 2012-
Midwest Archives Conference
- Development Officer –2010 – 2012
- Vendor Coordinator – 2005-2008, 2013-
Phi Alpha Theta – Kent State University, Kent OH Chapter
- Secretary 2009-2010
- Historian 2008-2009
Franklin County Genealogical Society
- Secretary 1993-1995
American Library AssociationSociety of American ArchivistsMidwest Archives ConferenceMid-Atlantic Regional Archives ConferenceMetropolitan Archivists Round Table (NYC)
Society of Ohio Archivists
Ohio Preservation Council
National Genealogical Society
Ohio Genealogical Society
Phi Alpha Theta
American Association of State and Local Historians
Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, and Publishing
The Aldus Society of Columbus, OH