Book Repair Workshop
Day 1 (order of activities may vary)
- Introduction to the topic, review of damage and importance of collection maintenance.
- Overview of preservation and basic care of collections.
- Review of book structure, causes of book structure failure.
- Discuss repair decisions and basic repair techniques with emphasis on appropriateness for circulating collections.
- Vendors of supplies for book repair
- Video: How to Operate a Book
- Video: Birth of a Book http://vimeo.com/38681202
- Discuss various repair options including commercial binding.
- The Oxford University Press and the Making of a Book (silent film 1925) [17:51 min] http://blog.oup.com/2013/11/oxford-university-press-making-a-book-silent-film/
- Video: How a book is made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3rlsj-KEZE
- Discussion of commercial library bindery, repair decisions, brittle books programs and their commercial library bindery concerns.Guest Lecturers or Field Trips, depending upon availability and weather
- Constructing simple blank books with limp bindings.
Overnight assignment: Read Gaylord’s Guide to Collections Care Section #4 and BookCraft. Both distributed at beginning of class. (2 hours)
ONLINE RESOURCE: Basic Book Repair Manual, a cooperative initiative of the Ohio Preservation and State Library of Ohio http://opc.ohionet.org/opcjoomla/resources/publications/basic-book-repair-manual
Day 2 – Hands-on repair decisions and techniques
- torn pages
- tip in loose pages
- Pamphlet binding – single and multiple signatures
- repair simple spine damage
- reattach broken hinges
- Construct simple phase boxes
distribute post class assignment, wrap up class, evaluation