- Greenwood, Val Researcher’s Guide to American Genealogy. 3rd ed. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2000.
- Smolenyak, Megan. Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History. NY: Penguin Books, 2010.
- Pugh, Mary Jo. Reference Services in Archives. Fundamental II. Chicago: Society of American Archivists, 2005. [available for rent through Amazon]
- NYT Civil War Timeline http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/10/29/opinion/20101029-civil-war.html
Additional materials on BB
- Schmidt, Laura. Using Archives: A Guide to Effective Research. Chicago: SAA, 2011 http://www2.archivists.org/usingarchives
- Citing Government Documents – NARA http://www.archives.gov/publications/general-info-leaflets/17-citing-records.html
- Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives 3rd Edition Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration 1983, 2001 (on reserve)
- Meyerink, Kory L. editor. Printed Sources: A Guide to Published Genealogical Records. Salt Lake City UT: Ancestry 1998 (on reserve)
Various reading as assigned – on reserve (at KSU Library & SLO-SLIS Columbus) on the Internet or e-reserve http://reserves.library.kent.edu/eres/default.aspx