- Chappell, Warren and Robert Bringhurst. A Short History of the Printed Word. Revised and updated ed. Vancouver: Hartley & Marks, 2000. (available on reserve, used through Amazon, and as a download through Internet Archive https://archive.org/details/robert-bringhurst-warren-chappell-a-short-history-of-the-printed-word )
- Williams, William Proctor and Craig S. Abbot. An Introduction to Bibliographical and Textual Studies 4th edition 4th Edition. NY: The Modern Language Association of America, 2009
Thesauri and Terminology
- John Carter’s ABC for Book Collectors It is also available on the web at: http://www.ilab.org/eng/documentations.html?type=dictionary .
- “Glossary” in Williams An Introduction to Bibliographical & Textual Studies
- “Bibliography on the Web” The Bibliographical Society of America http://www.bibsocamer.org/
- Matt Roberts and Don Etherington. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1982 at http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/don.html for Rare Book terminology not found in Carter.
- The British Library Manuscript Catalog – Glossary from Michelle P. Brown, Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts: A Guide to Technical Terms J. Paul Getty Museum: Malibu and British Library: London, 1994) http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/glossary.asp
- De Vinne, Theodore Low. (1904). Modern Methods of Book Composition. New York: The Century Company, 1904. https://archive.org/details/practiceoftypogr1904devi
- Cappelli. Dizionario di Abbreviature Latini ed italiani. (Dictionary of Latin Abbreviations in Italian) Milano, 1912 [Best for medieval and early modern Latin materials] http://www.hist.msu.ru/Departments/Medieval/Cappelli/
- Graesse, Dr. J.G.Th. Orbis Latinus 1909 online http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/Graesse/contents.html
- Language of Bindings Thesaurus (LoB): a thesaurus of book binding terms 9th-19th centuries http://www.ligatus.org.uk/lob/
- All 754 volumes of the National Union Catalog pre-1956 imprints are now available in digitized form freely online: http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000140237
- Koln Incunabula http://www.ub.uni-koeln.de/sammlungen/inkunabeln/index_ger.html
All the other articles and books are on reserve at KSU’s Main Library http://www.kent.edu/library/about/depts/reserves/index.cfm .
Most of the articles are available through e-reserves, otherwise they are available through KentLink or the internet. The link to course reserves is on the left hand menu of the BB site.