Cleaning Moldy or Dirty Materials
Dry all moldy materials before cleaning or removing mold or dirt.
1) Hold book shut at front edge
2) Vacuum mold or dirt off
Top edge of book move from spine to edge
Bottom edge from spine to edge.
Front edge from top to bottom
3) Vacuum off
4) Open front cover
Vacuum off inner edge near fold (hinge area)
5) Open back cover
Vacuum off inner edge near fold (hinge area
6) Repeat process using “dry chemical sponge”
DRY CHEMICAL SPONGES are made of pure latex or rubber sponge not cellulose. DO NOT get sponge wet.
DO NOT use any liquid to eliminate mold, it will cause mold to grow again
DO NOT put wet materials into sealed containers, boxes or plastic. This will encourage mold growth!
Follow up for mold
- Look through book and make certain no mold remains
- Put in stable, dry environment
- Monitor for reappearance of mold
- Return to original location after the environment is stable and the rH is back to 45%- 60% +/- 2%. These materials are very susceptible to mold
- Monitor previously infected areas throughout seasonal changes to determine that mold has been arrested
Moldy materials that cannot be treated immediately should be frozen. Freezing mold does not kill or eradicate it, but merely stops mold growth