Do the books fall apart after a few circulations? Do they continue to fall apart after they are repaired? Learn how to handle and care for the circulating and reference collections found in cultural institutions, so they last longer and look better. Basic techniques for the care of non-print collections will be covered briefly.
· Learn how books and periodicals are constructed
· Identify factors that cause collections to call apart
· Damage – how is it caused and how to prevent it
· Selecting appropriate repair techniques and supplies
· Low cost solutions to increase the life span of collections.
Staff from small and medium sized institutions whose responsibilities include preservation, collection maintenance, or repair of circulating collections.
Staff interested in learning about preservation.
Miriam Kahn, MLS – MBK CONSULTING Columbus, OH